Happy Lipstick Day Paper & Glam Family!
Today I'm celebrating this very glam holiday by documenting the lipsticks that take me from January through December each year. Last year, I began this tradition and I've got a couple new favorites to add to the list of lips I love.
Before we get to my favorites, here's a few lipstick facts to get us excited and celebrating:
- Coloring ones lips has been in vogue for thousands of years and at different times in history, both men and women colored their lips! In previous centuries, lipstick was made with berries and other natural items to stain the lips.
- By the turn of the century (early 1900s), lipstick was considered to be quite risqué with only actors and actresses wearing it in silent movies. However, during the suffrage rallies in 1912, feminists were painting their lips as a symbol of emancipation.
- In the 1920s, flappers wore lipstick to symbolize their independence. Who's ready for the party at Gatsby's?!
- Much like Regina George claimed hoop earings in Mean Girls (Sidebar: Mean Girls' Day is October 3rd!), it’s alleged that Elizabeth Taylor demanded that no other woman on her movie sets wear red lipstick. She considered it her look, and apparently, imitation is not flattery!
- In the UK, especially in Northern England, lipstick is called “lippy." Thank you UK subscribers for that fun fact!
Without further ado, here's your guide to seasonal lips all-year long:
- MAC Satin Snob
For a soft winter look, MAC's Snob is a classic. I've been wearing this shade since high school and it's my longest running lip color. It works from work parties to brunch, or paired with a smokey eye for a bold nighttime look.
- MAC Matte Candy Yum-Yum
When those first signs of summer hit, I reach for MAC's Candy Yum-Yum. It says "welcome to Los Angeles, palm trees, and 80 degrees."
- L'oreal Infallible Red Fetale
When it's time for a red, hot glamerican summer, this shade says "God Bless, America" and looks beautiful paired with a navy top and my favorite cutoff jean shorts.
- Chanel Rouge Allure #94 Extatique
This shade is my signature Paper & Glam pink lip. It's the perfect blue pink. The blue tone makes eyes look brighter and gives my skin a healthy glow. It's the shade I'm wearing in almost every video.
- NYX Liquid Suede Cream Orange County
If you're ready to rock an orange lip, this is a great late summer starter. Not only does it blend perfectly with your resident pink for a more subtle look, it also creates the perfect pink orange ombre like a summer sunset. You can see her in action here.
- YSL Rouge Volute Shine Fuchsia in Rage #19
In September, YSL's Fuchsia in Rage is the ideal transition to fall. It's ideal when it's still 90 degrees and you're not quite ready to go full vamp.
- MAC Girl About Town
My other go-to September lip, is Girl About Town. The name may sound familiar...it was the inspiration for our Glam About Town planner stickers. This color works with any outfit and transitions seamlessly from summer to fall, and day to night.
- Chanel Rouge Allure #96 Excentrique
This is my glamoween-go-to. If it's October, I've got this lip on. This is the perfect shade to pair with a LBD for a classic look with a hocus locus spin. In this shot, I'm rocking the glamoween lip for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.
- MAC Satin Cyber
Cyber is my other glamoween staple. It is bold fall lip with a capital B. It's daring and different in all the best ways.
- L'oreal Infallible Everlasting Plum
Everlasting Plum is your classic very berry fall lip. I wear it every day in November. Last Thanksgiving, while I was diving into a dinner plate of apps, my great aunt asked how I'd been eating all day yet my lip looked freshly applied. I told her about the Infallible line and the glories of my drug store bestie.
- MAC Retro Matte Ruby Woo
When I've eaten through the Thanksgiving leftovers, and it's time to rock around the Christmas tree, I break out the ornaments and Ruby Woo. You won't catch me without her during December.
What are your favorite lipsticks? You know I'm dying to add one for every month so let me know what I'm missing in the comments!
When I upload a fresh video, I'm often asked what lip I'm wearing. This is my entire lipstick brigade so match the video to the season and there's your girl!
I hope this post encourages you to try a lipstick slightly out of your comfort zone. It may be the simplest way to bring a little glam to each day.
If you try any of these shades, I'd love to see on Instagram with #seasonalglam or in our Seasonal Living Facebook group.
Much lipstick love going out to each of you from LA,
FTC Disclaimer: Links my be affiliates. Thank you for your support of Paper & Glam.